Our June meeting was a trip to the Rose Garden
Roads University in Victoria BC, We were hosted by the
rose gardener, who outlined the history of the rose garden.
HATLEY PARK - A NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
A 565 acre Edwardian estate containing old growth forest with
walking paths, a lagoon , a castle, wetlands, nature trails,
bird watching sites.
In 1908 Lieutenant Governor James Dunsmuir commissioned architect Samuel Maclure
to design a 40-room stone castle as his family home. The home was sold in 1940
to the federal government with the understanding it would be used for educational
purposes. For the next 55 years “Hatley Castle” and the site was
used for a variety of military learning purposes, officially becoming Royal
Roads Military College in 1968 and then Royal Roads University in 1995.
Hatley Park’s formal gardens include the
original Italian Garden adjacent to the Castle, the elaborate
and the beautiful Rose Garden.
The rose garden was first planted in 1913, but fell into disuse
in the second half of the century. It was renovated in 1997 with
a lot of hard work and modern shrub roses donated by Brentwood
Bay Nurseries, and now has one of the largest private collections
Deer are always a problem on the forested grounds. The garden
is fenced all around to keep them out. Some surplus large-diameter
marine tow-rope from the RRMC days was draped between posts to
for climbing roses.